top of page

The S1 form and its use

1. The S1 form

The S1 form allows you (and/or your family members) to register for healthcare if you live in an EU country (see note 1) but you are insured in a different one. The form is delivered per person (not per family).

2. Where and when to obtain your S1 form

You should obtain your S1 form from the healthcare institution (see note 2) you are insured with. In cases where you are entitled to an S1 because of a change of residence, you should apply for the form before leaving the country you are insured in. Applying after your move can lead to delays in registration in your new country of residence. In cases where you are entitled to apply for the S1 on behalf of your family members, you should make an application as soon as you become insured in another country.

3. Use of the S1 form

The S1 form should be presented to the healthcare institution in your new country of residence, or in the country of residence of your family members. (3) This should be done without delay. A full list of institutions in both the issuing and host countries can be found at

4. What does the S1 cover?

When you (and/or your family members) reside in a different country to the one you are insured in, you (and/or your family members) are entitled to all the benefits in kind (e.g. healthcare, medical treatment, hospitalisation) provided for under the legislation of your country of residence as if you were insured there. The institution in the country of residence is reimbursed by the institution with which you are insured.

5. Who will qualify for an S1 form?

This is used where a person (and his family members) is resident in a country other than the one they are working in. It can also be used by members of the family of migrant workers who have stayed in their country of origin but are covered by the healthcare insurance of the country where the insured person now works (provided the family members are not employed or self-employed themselves in the country of origin). The S1 is also used for pensioners retiring abroad or transferring their residence to another Member State, as well as for their family members


• A Dutch pensioner retires to France. An S1 is issued by the Dutch healthcare institution and this enables him to register for healthcare in France. The S1 should be presented to the healthcare institution in France.

• A Polish worker goes to work in Ireland. His wife, who does not work, and his children remain in Poland. An S1 is issued by the competent Irish healthcare institution and the worker’s wife then presents it to the Polish health institution on behalf of herself and the children. The question if these family members are entitled to treatment at the expense of the Irish healthcare institution has to be decided under the Polish legislation.

• A worker is posted from Malta to Italy, remaining insured in Malta. He becomes resident in Italy and wishes to register for healthcare there. An S1 is issued by the Maltese healthcare institution. The worker presents the S1 to the Italian institution and then Italy will provide healthcare cover.

6. Information on long-term care benefits in cash

The S1 also informs the health institution in the country of residence if you are receiving long-term care benefits in cash. This could have an impact on your entitlement, as the value of benefits in kind you receive in your country of residence or stay could be deducted from these benefits in cash. This is to ensure that the country issuing the form (that is the country bearing all the costs for the healthcare) does not pay twice.


(1) In the following text, the terms “EU Country” or “EU Member State” will also refer to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland as soon as Regulations 883/2004 and 987/2009 become applicable to them.

(2) In Gibraltar, the form is delivered by the Tax Office In Spain, the form is issued by the Provincial Head Office of the National Institute for Social Security or, if appropriate, by the Social Institute for Mariners. In Portugal, the form is issued by the social security institution of the place of residence.

(3) Please note that the name/type of the relevant institution can be different from one Member State to another. For Spain, Sweden and Portugal, the form must be handed over to the head provincial offices of social security National Institute (Spain), the social insurance institution (Sweden) and the social security institution of the place of residence (Portugal).

Source: Coordination of Social Security Systems, S1 — Registering for healthcare cover. © European Union


bottom of page